I’ve decided to start the new year off with album review that gives me some nostalgic feels. Over the holidays I’ve gotten my second Morning Musume and Hello! Project album, Morning Musume’s 9th album “Platinum 9 DISC” so with that I’ll be doing a little album review and somewhat share some of my thoughts about the songs, cover art, and whatever else I can think of about this album.
1) SONGS – This album starts off with one of my many all time favorite Morning Musume songs “SONGS.” I think this song is definitely one of their best! I just really like the sound and beat of this song, all the sounds blend so nicely together and I just love the little piano pieces. I think it kinda starts off like a ballad but continues and finishes quite modern. Plus when I watched this song being sung during Morning Musume’s 2009 spring concert, it was so great and amazing that it left quite an impression on me, and I’ve really loved this SONG ever since then.
2) Resonant Blue – Resonant Blue has always been a song that I don’t mind and like quite a bit. Like most Platinum 9 era songs, the only girls singing for the most part are Ai-chan and Reina. The only things that are sung by other members in this song are some ah’s, ou’s, dekedo’s and help me’s, but excluding that, I think it’s still a pretty cool song. The outfits for this single are pretty cool looking and I like the dance quite a bit.
3) Ame no Furanai Hoshi dewa Aisenai Darou? – I like Ame no Furanai Hoshi dewa Aisenai Darou, but I don’t really like how they put a ballad right in the middle of some really cool and pumped up songs. While listening to this album and when this song came up it kinda slowed down my pumped up vibe. But ignoring that little factor, Ame no Furanai Hoshi dewa Aisenai Darou is still an amazing ballad, and it features Linlin and Junjun singing their own verses in Chinese which is pretty darn awesome!
4) Take off is now! – Take off is now is small group song sung by Takahashi Ai, Niigaki Risa and Tanaka Reina. I can’t say that this song is favorite song sung by this trio, but I think it’s a nice song. Even though I like how Ai and Reina sounds in this song, but I must say that Risa’s vocals really stick out this song, and she just sounds really really great.
5) Naichau Kamo – I really love Naichau Kamo, it’s one of my many favorite Morning Musume songs. It’s a song with a very cool and mature atmosphere to it. It’s a song that I absolutely love listening and dancing to. Has anyone tried to learn this dance? It has a lot of small details, a fast pace, it’s difficult to learn and it kills your arms, but once you’ve got it mostly memorized it’s definitely a good workout (ahaha!). I don’t have much else to say about this song besides that I just love everything about it.
6) Watashi no Miryoku ni Kizukanai Donkan na Hito – This song is a solo song sung by Mitsui Aika. I’m not a huge extreme fan of Aika and her voice but I do think that this song is a pretty alright song for her, and I must admit that I do listen to this song quite a bit. I think this song is definitely Aika’s song, like any other H!P member can cover this song but to me I find that I would always think of Aika and how she rocks it while singing this song. It is her song.
7) Guruguru JUMP – Guruguru JUMP is a very energetic and fun song sung by Kusumi Koharu, Junjun and Linlin. This song definitely gives me some nostalgic feelings about the first H!P concert I watched online it during my really early Hello! Pro fangirl days. This song is performed quite a bit in concerts but I personally have to say that the best performance of this song is during the Hello! Project Concert 2009 Summer Kakumei Gannen ~Hello! Chanpuru~ it is seriously one of my favorite live performances out there and it made me love this song more than before.
8) Mikan – Mikan is another fun and energetic song in this album. I really like the liveliness of this song but personally I can’t really say that this song is really my favorite, even with that, I really do love how this song is performed during concerts since it’s a song that really pumps everybody up with positivity and fun energy.
9) Jounetsu no Kisu wo Hitotsu – Jounetsu no Kisu wo Hitotsu is another song on this album sung by Takahshi Ai, Niigaki Risa and Tanaka Reina. As the title says I find this song has quite a bit of passion to it (the title means “one passionate kiss” in English) and I find it sounds like an early 2000ish Jennifer Lopez song. I really like this song and I think it’s the best song on this album sung by this trio. I don’t really get why this trio gets two songs on this album though.
10) It’s You – It’s You is Michishige Sayumi’s solo song on this album. I think it has a bit of a 90’s vibe to it, which I find is pretty cool. I like Sayumi’s vocals so I do like this song quite a bit. Her performances for this song is always so flawless and great to watch so I definitely love when she gets a chance to sing this song.
11) Onna ni Sachi Are – Onna ni Sachi Are is one of my most favorite Morning Musume singles out there and I’m so glad that it’s on this really great album. A women who suffers a broken heart but will be happy and rise again like the sun, if that’s not an empowering song then I don’t know what is. Also, this song is extremely catchy with all the baka’s that’s in it and it’s quite easy and really fun to sing along with. I absolutely LOVE this song.
12) Kataomoi no Owari ni – Kataomoi no Owari ni is Kamei Eri’s solo song, and I must say that this song is most cutest song on this whole entire album. Kamei Eri has such a cute and wonderful voice and this song matches her so well. Listening to this song now, in 2014, really makes me miss her though. Kataomoi no Owari ni is just an extremely adorable song, and I love listening to this song.
13) Kanashimi Twilight – To be honest, I’m not the hugest fan of Kanashimi Twilight. I really like the flow of the lyrics and the lyrics themselves, but I’m not a huge fan of rock sound they went for in this song. Fujimoto Miki’s and Takahashi Ai’s vocals sound absolutely great in this song though, so I must give this song a few points for that. It’s also a great song to end this album.
This album definitely gives me nostalgia about my early Hello! Project days and it gives me flashbacks of the performances they performed on Morning Musume’s Concert Tour 2009 Haru ~Platinum 9 DISCO~ and the Hello! Project Concert 2009 Summer Kakumei Gannen ~Hello! Chanpuru~ which just fills me up with happiness. I really love this album, and the Platinum era members. If I was to rank this whole entire album which includes the songs, cover art, lyric pages, etc. I would give it a 8.7 / 10.
If anybody is interested in listening to a few H!P albums, I would totally recommend this one.